Monday, June 05, 2023

A Year In a Month



May 8th is officially Grateful Dead Day in Ithaca in commemoration of their famous concert at Barton Hall in 1977.  To mark it this year, the iteration that is the band now played a show.  Roxy and I scoped out the scene several times leading up to it, and we even got into Barton at 6 am the day of the show and tried to hide out under the bleachers until it started.  Tickets were impossible to get, and at hundreds or thousands of dollars, not something I even tried to do.  We didn't get to see the concert. Roxy started barking in the afternoon when she wanted to go for a walk and get dinner.


She was sure that was Jerry's camper and wanted to wait to see him.  But then again, she was sure she could take down the bear.


I think there were more people in line than could get into Barton.


The chimes concert was all Dead songs.  I was able to identify a few.


The next morning the scene in Collegetown and on campus was a little different.  I caught a glimpse of Bob Weir getting his first cup of coffee for the day and doing a little street sweeping.

It's not often the Ag Quad is completely empty.  It was a real contrast to the previous days of so much excitement and activity on campus.


  Getting to see Richie and Rosie at the State Theater a couple days later was the better event in my view.

I also got down to the Green Rooms of the State when I went on a school trip around downtown with Siyu.  It's always good to have your picture taken with John Prine.


No comments: