Thursday, June 04, 2020

Merry Month of May

 To start the month of May and celebrate my birthday, I decided to hike from the lake at Stewart Park and go upstream of Fall Creek to near Varna, and then return via Cascadilla Creek.  I planned to cross all the bridges along the way with the exception of Rt. 13 which is a four-lane highway when it crosses each stream.  Little did I know when I made my plan that we would get near-record rainfall in the 12 hours before my walk.  There was some flooding, mostly along the lake, but it made for an interesting trip of roughly 13 miles.
I always say if I can't have snow on my birthday I hope there's at least some fog.  That would have been a snowstorm for the record books, but the fog was a nice touch.
Crossing the first bridge, a pedestrian bridge between the golf course and Stewart Park.
Ithaca Falls, almost obscured by fog and spray.
Triphammer Falls below Beebe Lake.
Gail was able to meet me for part of the walk.  She met me on the Suspension Bridge and went up to Thurston Ave. and around Beebe Lake before returning home.                                                                                                                                                                              

A flooded section of trail above Flat Rock.                                                                                                 
Historic one-lane bridge in Varna.  People don't want it replaced because it will increase traffic and add trucks to the flow, but if NY is going to pay for any of the new bridge (they are paying for almost all of it) they get to say how many lanes.                                                                                                                      
The long awaited FH Fox Bridge over Rt. 366.  I had to go out of my way to cross this one, but when I saw it was open I couldn't resist.  This is a crucial piece of a rail trail that will go from Ithaca to Dryden.  The tradition of spray painting by third-year vet students of Dr. Fox' age on the bridge began the same year I moved to the area.  He died a couple years ago so it now says FH Fox is Forever.  Can't wait to cross it to go all the way to Dryden without using the roads.                                                                    
One I wasn't able to cross due to the Cascadilla walkway being closed for the season.  There was a time when the walkway wouldn't withstand a storm like this without some section being damaged and a long stretch submerged, but Cornell Natural Areas spent a few million dollars to fix most of that.  Hope it opens soon.                                                                                                                                                                  
The route.  Over 30 bridges, 8 for bikes or pedestrians only.  One railroad.
Gail had been testing out new meals recently to have something special for my birthday.  We settled on arepas smothered with beans and vegetables.  We didn't adhere to the PAUSE NY and invited many friends and family to join us.  Thanks for being there.                                                                               
No need to test the dessert.  I'm a big fan of chocolate peanut butter cheesecake.                                    




No comments: