Saturday, August 12, 2023

Walking to School

 A few weeks ago, I walked Roxy on a route that took us past seven local schools.  It got me wondering if it would be possible to do a trip that included walking by all the schools in Ithaca, similar to when I took a walk to cross as many bridges over Fall and Cascadilla Creeks as I could in one day.  I didn't carry my lunch, but I made it to 14 schools.  10 were ICSD buildings, BOCES, Cornell, Ithaca College and a private school rounded out the total.

 LACS- the alternative school.  I always make a joke about how kids do in Joint Rolling Class there, and then this year I heard lots of the kids turned on the principal when they were not permitted to smoke pot on campus.  Sheesh, it's is legal now.

 A detour past Greenstar Market to see the structures we built at GrassRoots this summer.

 BJM

 Fall Creek.  I helped build that playground a hundred years ago.

 The Big House and the Board Building.

 Not in Ithaca: Cayuga Heights Elementary.

 Northeast Elementary

 Dewitt Middle School


We were passing by Saint Catherine of Sienna Church so we stopped to rest a spell on the bench in the garden dedicated to Mary Ellen.

 One of Cornell's newest dorms on the massive North Campus expansion.

 Roxy was digging this trip.

Cornell Law School and Annabelle Taylor Hall.

 Cornell's newest $67 million hole in the ground/ former baseball field.

 I want to return to see what's behind the dumpster at Bell Sherman Elementary.

 Not the best spot for a picture of Ithaca College, but I got all three of their towers in it.

 South Hill School has the best view. 

15.5 miles.  By the way, did you notice how many have construction projects going on?  That was quite the bond act passed by district voters a couple years ago.  If I try this by bike, I could include the Montessori School and the Waldorf School.  Maybe next summer.





No comments: