Saturday, August 12, 2023

Hiking Adventures

 Lots of hiking action this summer.

I led a group from GIAC on a tour mostly of the South Hill Rec Way, but we adventured onto some of the trails in the woods that were suitable for the group. 
My student, Nafisa, and her father joined me for a tour of the wildflower preserve so I could show them the water system for Ithaca.  Noor is here to get a PhD at Cornell, he's a hydrologist.  Nafisa is here because she loves school and the Taliban closed them for girls in Afghanistan.
 

I found two yellow jacket nests over three days.  Multiple stings to my ankles when I disturbed the first nest while doing trail work, and one to the ear when I was minding my own business and simply walked past a nest.

I have not been inside the Hospicare residence since before the pandemic began.  On a walk up there this month, I decided to see if they'd let me in to sit in Mary Ellen's corner for a bit.  They have just started allowing families of residents to use it again. 

And I helped build another bridge that is wide enough for snowshoes on the FLT.  Wish I could make it snow.


No comments: