Saturday, August 13, 2022

Mountain Time

On a bike trip several years ago, Gail and I rode to the Adirondacks and climbed Algonquin Peak.  It was my first Adirondack 46er- the 46 peaks over 4000'.  Except some of them aren't over 4000', and there are some peaks over 4000' not on the list.  I didn't (and still don't) have any intention of trying to be a 46er, but at some point I decided to make an effort for a different arbitrary, inaccurate group: The highest 25 in the Northeast.  On this four-day solo trip I planned to hike a good part of the Great Range and make it to Basin and Gothics (on the list), plus a bunch of other peaks that are and aren't on it.  If all went well, I'd revisit Algonquin (and Wright) on a route that would go to their neighbor, Iroquois.  All went well.  That's me (duh), having just been to Iroquois.


 From Algonquin looking at the part of the Great Range I hiked a couple days before.  Basin is on the right, Gothics is most of the middle section of the range.

Thanks to Ann and Chips for letting me stay at their home in Piseco on the way up.  After having dinner and catching up, I got up at 3:30 am to drive the last 90 minutes to be sure I got a parking spot in the small Garden Parking Lot off Rt. 73 in Keene Valley.

No comments: