Saturday, August 13, 2022

Mountain Time

 During the night there was quite a bit of thunder coming from the High Peaks, and rain in North Elba.  Both continued as I paid for a parking permit at Adirondack Loj and I decided it would be foolish to summit any mountains, especially ones that would have me at or above treeline for several miles.


Sometimes you just have to bet against the forecast, and the current conditions.  As I was walking to the trail at Heart Lake that would take me around the MacIntyre Range on a low route, I realized the rain had stopped and there hadn't been any lightening for at least 15 minutes.  And the sky was getting brighter, more than it typically does at 6 am.  I figured if I was wrong, I would reverse my planned route, and if I was right, I had time to find out before the junction with the Lake Arnold Trail that goes up to Colden, and then continue over to Iroquois as I hoped.

I'm not saying it didn't rain anymore, but the umbrella I carried was never opened.  It did snag a few hundred wet branches.  At least there wasn't any thunder and lightening.  Lake Arnold had a moody look.
From the real summit of Colden.  When I got to the wooded area in the lower right of the picture, I  thought I was at the top and couldn't figure out what mountain was much higher and just to the south.  Right, the real summit of Colden.  The trail descends and climbs two more times in between.

After descending quite a bit on some slick slabs, Lake Colden became visible.  This was the only section of trail I had company on; another guy had bet against the forecast and we kept an eye on each other during this tricky stretch of trail.

The Algonquin Trail goes up there.

I'm not sure, but I think the creek that doubles as a trail is Algonquin Creek.

It was good to be climbing so steeply in a creek.  Though the rain didn't return anymore, it was humid and got pretty warm.  I dunked my head in the creek often, and if I had been sure no thunderstorms would form during the afternoon, I would have taken the time to enjoy a swim in this pool.

That's Wallface.  I still want to hike through there.

Looking back to where I'd just been: Boundary and Iroquois.  There's a claim that Boundary got it's name because it was the peak separating Iroquois and Algonquin territories, but that doesn't hold up to the evidence.


Looking down on Wright and Heart Lake.  I'd be on one and in the other in a matter of time.
Looking up the final ascent of Wright.  Only a few more cairns to go.

Mount Colden with Gray, Marcy and Skylight behind it.


 


 

Since I walked across the parking lot twice: once before changing my mind in the morning, and the second time to go swimming at the end, I'm calling it 16 miles.



No comments: