Thursday, August 11, 2022

Building Bridges

 I've been taking part in more trail projects with the Cayuga Trails Club lately.  We maintain the Finger Lakes Trail in the county and several spur trails to state parks, Cornell, and Finger Lakes Land Trust preserves.  The snowshoers are getting more finicky about trail conditions and don't like some of the bridge-less stream crossings, or existing bridges that are too narrow.  We added one to the Abbott Loop, and replaced two in the Potato Hill State Forest.




 

With the bridge done by lunch time, I decided to go up to the Pinnacles on the Abbott Loop and eat.  I should make an effort to get up there more often.

I'm sad to say I've been the Young Guy on the crew for the construction of all three bridges.  We've got to recruit some actual young people.  Now if we could get some of the trails straightened out a bit and off the steep hills so they are more skier friendly...


At least when I work alone in the wildflower preserve, I'm the youngest and oldest.  I got around to moving a short section of trail off a steep hill that is getting more use and as a result, more eroded.


 


 

No comments: