Thursday, October 27, 2022

Fix Ups Around Town

 A few spots around town are getting some attention.

The lock on a gate in Six Mile Creek disappeared.  I couldn't find it after a short look in the woods, but someone else found it and chose an unconventional way to shut the gate.  The chain was connected by four locks, and while I didn't have the key to three of them, I did know the combination to the other.  Guess which one is missing?  Guess who won't be opening the gate anymore?

Hey, the EPA is back at Ithaca Falls!  No detection of lead above the "safe" level, and really none detected in most of the test spots, but a flood last fall or winter undermined the barrier so it's getting it's third do-over.  I have gotten to enjoy talking with Don from the EPA and catching up on travels and other topics. We have our doubts an additional row of boulders will solve the problem.

A group from a local church teamed up with Ithaca Murals, Streets and Facilities and Sherman Williams to cover up several year's worth of graffiti on the pedestrian bridge.  I don't mind graffiti if it's creative or artistic.  Nothing on the bridge was either.

I did a pretty thorough clean-up of Six Mile Creek in August when the water level was at its lowest.  But then the students returned and tossed enough cans and cups off the Aurora St. bridge to warrant a return trip.  When I saw this dumpster in the parking area on the other side of the creek, I decided to collect more than just a couple bags of cans and cups.  The company doing the construction probably isn't happy to be paying to dispose of refuse, but I'm calling it a noise tax.

A new mural on my commute.



No comments: