Wednesday, March 24, 2021

My Green Soapbox







   Here's a city street that I've asked traffic engineers and elected officials to consider adding bike lanes to, as I'm sure many others have.  It is a major north/south corridor and a couple hills and sharp turns necessitate measures to make it safer for the many bicyclists who use it.  I've been told it's a priority, but the city has failed to secure federal grants to rebuild it thus far.  

  This winter it was made considerably narrower by ice/snow for almost three months, yet traffic didn't come to a standstill or result in dozens of collisions.  Seems to me that space could be used as bike lanes for nine months of the year, and drivers would survive if they went 20 mph for 12 months.  Driving time would change about a minute for over a mile, probably less since only a few drivers actually go 30 mph for the entire stretch.  Now that we have a Green New Deal Tsar, I think I've got someone who might get it done.

  Maybe this stop sign will even get moved so drivers don't pull up to it while pedestrians are in the crosswalk.  Considering it's between two schools, I think that's reasonable.


    Reasonable to not plow snow into crosswalks and curb cuts?  I ask for a lot.

No comments: