Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Month of Local Skiing

  The storm was preceded by a few days of snow that provided just enough cover to ski in Six Mile Creek, and when that's possible that's my go-to location.  I managed to ski locally from the end of January to almost the end of February.  I prefer to get up early and go for a couple hours before work rather than count on having enough gumption to go after work.  I got to see several colorful sunrises but few people.
  Weekends and during the February break, I had enough time to get further out and was pretty consistently gone for over four hours.

  I got ambitious and turned some deer trails into skiing trails.  This little thicket of roses, privet, honeysuckle and grape vines took 45 minutes to clear.  It was worth it as there's now a nice loop added to the mix of trails.
  Roadkill on the Rec Way?  If this squirrel was run down by a skier it wasn't me.
  Lots of firsts thanks to the snow depth:  I'd never skied down to the 30' dam from the west side before, which led to a chance to ski upstream to Potter's Falls.  Had to take the skis off and climb up out of the gorge to get back to the trail from here.
  One day I decided to go for the trifecta and skied to all three dams.  This is First Dam.
  On the reservoir of the 30' dam.
  Skiing in the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve is rare, it's really the domain of walkers so skiing usually isn't very good, but I got a couple chances with excellent conditions.  This is Bridal Falls, where Gail and I got married on a warmer day.
  Same spot- wedding day.

 

No comments: