Sunday, June 10, 2018

Busking In Ithaca




  The biggest moment I witnessed on stage this spring happened at the State Theater, as it often does.  Brandi Carlile had a show, and while I'm only slightly familiar with her music, mainly through one song, I knew the excitement the show created, it nearly sold out when tickets went on sale.  These are shows when I love taking tickets at the door and on this night a friend came through the door with her son and mother.  The age difference was typical of the general audience so I wasn't surprised to see three generations of the family, but then I was let in on the story behind what brought them to the show.
  Connor had decided to busk with his cello on the Commons after school to make some money to take his mom out for ice cream.  It was his first time busking so Becca hung out a little ways away to not interfere, but be a sensible parent.  Unsupervised kids have gone on to some questionable lives busking the Commons without adult supervision.  There's these guys.  And these.
When a woman stopped and talked to Connor for a few minutes Becca didn't feel the need to see what the conversation was about, but she was a little surprised to have Connor turn around and yell, "Mom, Can I miss my lesson tonight?"  It turned out Brandi had been impressed enough to offer him the stage for a few minutes during her show.  He impressed the audience enough to hold them rapt for five minutes and get two standing ovations.  Even if that hadn't happened the show would have made my over-stuffed list of top shows at the State.  But it did happen.
Here's a video taken by Becca 

No comments: