Saturday, December 06, 2014

Three Seasons of Catching Up



Fortunately I've been getting around quite a bit on foot, revisiting some old stomping grounds as well as finding new ones right in the neighborhood.  In the fall Gail and I and several friends did the fifteenth annual Caroline Walkabout.  Perfect day this year and the hills of Caroline couldn't have been more colorful. The route took us past one of my old projects, the embedded tree in the stone wall along the Finger Lakes Trail in Shindagin Hollow State Forest.
Google Street View has added Trail View to some of the more popular trails around Ithaca including the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve on Six Mile Creek.  This screen shot is from just below the 30' Dam, or Joe's Dam as it's titled in their picture.  I was honored by the renaming when I made some efforts to get them to remove videos from youtube that have been drawing hundreds of people to the dam and causing much degradation to the area.  The videos are still up and this summer was particularly bad for various reasons.  The bottom picture shows most of the trails contained in Ithaca College's natural areas.  Gail and I have been commuting through there to get to Hospicare with some regularity, up to ten times a week for me.  I only recall skiing there a couple times for some reason, but I'm really looking forward to getting up there a lot this winter.
Come to think of it, we also walked the Black Diamond Trail from Taughannock to Ithaca in the spring.
I'll take some pictures, maybe even video. and post again before spring.

No comments: