Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Another Tree Post

I've been called a tree-hugger more times than I've actually hugged them, but I couldn't resist with this one. For one thing a hug gives some scale to the size of this tree. For another thing, this is a tree I've been looking for my entire adult life. It appears to be an American Chestnut (Castanea Dentata). I say appears because there are some imposters that often confuse or trick people, however, I'm pretty certain this is the real deal since a real tree expert I know found a chestnut in Six Mile Creek last year and gave me an idea where it was so I went and found it. In the case of that one, I'd been within ten feet of it several times without noticing it, with this one I dare say I'd been that close at least 100 times. I'm not saying where it is other than also in Six Mile Creek, so you'll have to get out there and find it, which you can do by staying on the trail and keeping your dog on leash with you.

No comments: