Monday, March 18, 2019

Winter at Pharaoh Lake

  An annual ritual was renewed this March with a trip to Pharaoh Lake.  In the past we've gone over the weekend closest to St. Patrick's Day, but Roy lobbied hard for the weekend before and so it was that we were there for the best possible weather I can imagine for winter camping.
  I drove up Thursday afternoon in an effort to get to the lean-to before dark and almost made it.  This is a view of Pharaoh Mountain from the beaver pond on the way in, about a half hour before the destination so I didn't quite make it in daylight but no problem under the conditions and with familiarity of where I was headed.  Those would be the only clouds we'd see until Sunday morning.  It got down to 0 F overnight, the stars and planets were spectacular and I marveled at the Milky Way.

  Glenn and Roy  spent the night at Glenn's place on Lake George and came in after breakfast.  The skiing was pretty good and it's mostly down hill to the parking lot so I went down to meet them and put a few things I didn't feel I needed in my car to make the haul out Sunday easier.  By the time we got back to the lean-to the wind had kicked up a bit and it was only in the teens so we just sat around talking.  I headed out for a sunset ski around the lake and got these pictures, one of the little lean-to I like so much and the other of the hills across the lake from the Point where we usually stay.


No comments: