Sunday, March 17, 2019

Winter at Pharaoh Lake



  Saturday I made it up Pharaoh Mountain, the first time in about 10 years.  It was a perfect day for it, other than the trail not being broken out which meant a long, slow slog for me, almost three hours to go 1.5 miles.  I had a memory of the view of the High Peaks but didn't recall it being this fantastic.  I posted it online and asked for help with ID of the peaks and someone graciously went above and beyond what I expected.  While my hike up Marcy last summer was about 17 miles longer, I don't remember stopping and leaning on trees for several minutes before being able to continue.
  The view to the west was equally stunning, no idea what those mountains are other than one or two.
  When I got back down to the lake the snowfleas (spring tails) were out and filling up our footprints.  I thought they came from the bark of trees but actually live in leaf litter and soil under the snow and come up through it when it warms up.


No comments: