Monday, August 04, 2008

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

From 1996 to 2006 I picked apples at the Cornell Orchards. One year I stayed on after the harvest and did "orchard work" for a month or two. There was a rainy day that the work involved cutting down all the trees that were in this area. They were on the lines you can see, and depending on the resolution of the picture when you click on the photo, you might be able to see the individual stumps. The darker line on the right was the infamous Lincoln T row; trees trained on trellises about five feet off the ground, impossible to pick by anyone over four feet tall. It was here I picked my record, 12 bins, or 204 bushels in one day. I was picking cider apples and it didn't matter if they were bruised, and back then you could shake them down and let the FOOD TOUCH THE GROUND!

No comments: