Thursday, July 13, 2023

Lansing Cottage '23

Gail and I made it year three at the cottage we've been renting at the end of June in Lansing on Cayuga Lake.  We've signed on for next June already, but due to a quirk in the calendar, I may have to miss the last week of work.  I have promised a couple kids I'll be there for graduation so I may have to get up at 4 am one day and kayak to Stewart Park.




 
 Previous and future graduates. 
 



 Despite some thunderstorms and one cool, rainy day, and two smokey ones, we had a great time with plenty of visitors.



Despite not being able to get out of her current employment situation and having to work mornings, Gail got to try out skills on her new paddle board, hang out with Roxy on the dock and get in some kayaking.

M and Maureen brought funny faces.
 

Jody was one of the braver visitors and hung out on the boathouse deck.



 

Tom paddled and brought smoked salmon on a smokey day.


 

Other kids did their best not to exert themselves in the smoke.  But had fun and, as always, brought dinner.


 I climbed through the fence of the old Cornell orchard to see what was left of the apple trees I used to pick.  They have cut down almost all them as they try to sell the property and have massive piles of apple wood just waiting to be used by some BBQ joint.

This is a pile of wood that used to be pawpaw trees.

 
 
 They have left the chestnut trees standing, some are doing better than others.  I wonder if there are still records of which variety is which.
 

Plenty of banjo time.


Even after working at the orchard for over ten years, this waterfall behind it was new to me.  Don't climb the rope next to the falls.



The main exploration was the new Finger Lakes Land Trust preserve just south of the cottage, Cayuga Cliffs.  I'm not sure the waterfall in the top photo is part of the preserve, but it's off the cliff that it gets its name from so I thought it was OK to access it from the railroad.  My hope is that the preserve goes at least to the railroad, if not the waterfront.




 

My main task to try to get a discount next year was building a beach, of sorts and supporting/upgrading the railings on the stairs.  Even if the discount doesn't work out, the beach was nice to have and the railings didn't fail.
 


If you didn't make it to visit this year, try again next year.




No comments: