Tuesday, October 02, 2018

August Vacation






   My big day of hiking came on the forth day we spent in Saranac Lake.  The plan was to go up Mt. Marcy and take two spur trails up other 4000' peaks on the way up and down.  I wanted to have the best weather for this one and got it.  There was an early shower just after 6 am when I started out and clouds were hanging quite low so I headed for Table Top Mountain first, as I'd read a couple descriptions that said there was no view from it.  Just as I got to the top the clouds blew off and I learned there are in fact great views from it of Marcy which was just up ahead. 
  From there I dropped back down to the trail to Mt. Marcy and got another surprise when I looked up a steep bare rock to the summit before 11 am.  Views were spectacular and I found a spot out of the wind for a bite to eat and chatted with the summit steward.  He told me how long it would take to add Skylight Mountain to my day, and while it was tempting, I was more interested in Lake Tear of the Clouds, the source of the Hudson River.  After getting my feet and head wet in the shallow pond, I hustled back up Marcy for lunch.  From there it was down the way I came in the morning and had enough time to add Phelps Mountain. The views from there were great too, can't wait to get back.

No comments: