Sunday, March 20, 2016

So That Was Winter?


One winter tradition endures, even under circumstances that hardly seemed like the real season.  I traveled to Pharaoh Lake with some friends, this year limited to just Roy and Glenn.  I got there on Thursday and beat the arrival of heavy rain that kept up for 18 hours, even when it stopped the clouds were still so low condensation was happening on everything so it might have been raining anyway.  The sky did clear by the time the others got in Friday morning.  It was 60 degrees and really foggy so I wasn't too sure about the safety of the ice (it had been in the 50's and 60's for a few days), but then I remembered an article about knowing when it's OK to go out on ice and it turned out it was mostly safe, just a little melting along the edges and in the channels between islands, and near inlets and the outlet.  Coincidentally, my camera got submerged at one point so this may be my last blog post unless I get a new one.

No comments: