Monday, August 10, 2026

Spontaneous Family Combustion

 


  

  An opportunity to visit John and Melissa in Westfield allowed me to stop in Watkins too.  It's the first time I've walked the gorge trail in more than way-to-long.  A fresh couple of inches of rain over the previous days enhanced the experience.  I also scored an incredible deal on the best winter coat I've ever owned.  Can't wait to wear it.


   I was excited to try out the new high-speed chargers in Friendship.  Disappointment hit when I saw the parking lot closed off for repaving, but someone else had pulled up on the grass and backed up to the chargers so I followed suit.  Success.  There are also new fast chargers in Barcelona.


  Barcelona (NY) is, of course, the home of the world's first and only lighthouse powered by natural gas, and on this morning, a full moon.  Not a bad sunrise either.


 

  I texted Pat and suggested he join us, and then when we got there, learned that Jim was coming to buy lunch.  Tom will jump in the car and drive four or five hours at the merest provacation, and Jim buying lunch was enough.  Chris is only an hour away, so how could she not come for a free lunch and visit with her brothers?  Sue couldn't muster it after driving about 3000 miles in July.


   The McMahon Boys.  Who's the youngest?  Or, who is who?


   Pat and I walked around the Patterson Library.  Cool displays of wartime posters, current artists and still, after over a hundred years, glass cases of dead birds.



   John and Melissa and Amanda live right next to the late, great Gale Street Bridge over Chautauqua Gorge, so I took a stroll up and down the creek.  

  Thanks to our hosts, good to see everyone, and thanks to Chris for paying for lunch when Jim left his wallet in his car when we walked up to Main St. to the restaurant.

 

No comments: