Sunday, August 09, 2026

GrassRoots Again and Again


   Finally, the day arrived to gather for the actual festival again.  


 As always, Bubba George got the music started.  It was bittersweet as our good friend, Steve, wasn't there due to health issues.  I can't remember a time when he wasn't.  On the other hand, with her new schedule, Gail made it to see the opening this year.

We polished off a bucket of blueberries at the compound on Thursday, so I got up early enough to pick another on Friday.  



 The pavilion we built during the Infield Stage set-up was a hit all weekend.  It will be a permanent fixture at the Greensprings Cemetery.


   The refurbished ticket booth is now the kitchen and sales booth for rotating food vendors at ReUse on Elmira Rd.

Verlon Thompson was as good as I expected, and then some.  Go see him if he performs near you.  Sorry I didn't get up to catch more of him at Culture Camp.

 

  Rhiannon Giddens was as good as I expected, and then some.  My old friend from Blue Heron days, Jason Sypher was playing bass.  We got to catch up before the set.  I didn't know Dirk Powell was going to be in the band, with his daughter, no less.  Jake Blount joined for a few tunes.  Sorry I didn't get to catch more of him at Culture Camp.

  I wanted to get a picture of the dead treetop before it crashed down on our compound in an anticipated violent thunderstorm.  The storm didn't include much wind, but we got buckets of rain.  Connie stayed dry.


 

One of the octogenarians who headlined Saturday night: Del McCoury.  He's incredible, go see him if you get a chance.  Taj Mahal put on a fantastic set after this.  I saw some of my students who loved both and now don't think I'm all that old.


There was a sweet painting in the Art Barn of my favorite swimming hole in Six Mile Creek.  I couldn't afford it though.

  

  I had excellent accommodations for Saturday night when I wanted to stay late and then be on the grounds early Sunday for the kickball game.  Alan and Andy are building a house just down the road.  It stayed dry too.


 They found a cool rock when excavating.



   Kickball- It's not for the sober anymore.


   As is tradition, Joe played the Star Spangled Banner.


   I was completely unaware that he would be playing a Richie composition with the GrassRoots Chamber Orchestra a few hours later.


  Hannah and Becca didn't know about it either, but they got there just in time to enjoy it.

I can't even begin to describe the talent and accomplishments by this group.

 

 Or in this one.

  The Happiness Parade.


 And great to see Lucia, Connor, and Hannah so happy.  They asked me what was the best GrassRoots.  I said they all blend together, but there are moments that stand out.  Let me tell you, that is one.

No comments: